Prev: Re: Age and Complexity Next: Re: FR! was Re: Re[2]: Age and Complexity

Re: Scratchbuilding Ideas? was Re: Age and Complexity

From: Doug_Evans/CSN/UNEBR@U...
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:42:32 -0600
Subject: Re: Scratchbuilding Ideas? was Re: Age and Complexity

I wasn't asked, but that's never stopped me before... ;->=

As I've mentioned long ago both here and rgmm, one interesting starting
source are aircraft models. Of course, the models themselves offer
possibilities, where a 1/144th fusilage can be used for fair-sized
craft.
However, the bombs, rockets, and other external packages can be quite
useful.

While not everyone round these parts has agreed, I like to two different
sized split-down-the-center bombs, and use the smaller fitted to the
sides
of the larger. I think it gives a look similar to bulges on the sides of
warships and older subs. Also, some of the bombs have the parts
hanging-from-the-wings attached to the bombs. I think properly painted,
they'd make swell flying bridges and 'sails'. However, as I've already
admitted before, painting is not a forte for me. (The fellow that
admitted
his girl liked to paint rather than play broke my heart. I've been
looking
for such a lass for years! Tried to train my ex before she was my ex,
tried
to train my new gf, tried my daughter, tried... *sniff*)

Another idea I'm trying, but haven't had a lot of luck with is to take a
bomb/missle and cut off length-wise about a third. Placing a flat piece
of
plastic would give a hull that looks a little like some of the ships
from
Legends of Galactic Heroes. Deck the flat piece with gun mounts and
superstructures, and viola! By the way, one thing I've found that give
some
interesting structures are paper hole punches of different size and
shapes.
You can cut thin plastic, as in soft drink cup lids, and things like the
bumps for braille can be used to represent laser/sensor/whathaveyou's.

On the other hand, just keep your eyes open: hardware/DIY are filled
with
little plastic widgets. I've used electric wire nuts for winged space
ships
when I was a lad. I've used small plastic pipe joints for guns. I've
found
some small plastic paper clips with interesting shapes and bumps at
office
supply shops. And thrift stores are filled with toys and other items
that
can surprise when properly painted(again by someone else in my case).

This is still mostly 'ideas', cuz, I get something started, but never
finished... *re-sniff*

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Age and Complexity Next: Re: FR! was Re: Re[2]: Age and Complexity