Prev: Re: Age and Complexity Next: Re: Age and Complexity

Re: Age and Complexity

From: Winchell Chung <nyrath@c...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 20:47:13 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Age and Complexity

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Allan Goodall wrote:

> I noticed that when roleplaying is mentioned amongst GZG players, Call
> of Cthulhu seems to be the predominant game. Isn't that strange? (Or
> not. If you got into roleplaying in the early to mid 1980s but were
> looking for a "mature" game, CoC was pretty much it.)

	Well, I was into CoC, but my first game wasn't
	D&D, it was *Empire of the Petal Throne* !!!

	I quickly mastered it and was the game master
	of my local jr. high school.  Later, when
	I encountered D&D I found it strangely simplistic.
	I didn't realize what a monster of complexity
	EotPT was, I though *all* RPGs were like that.
	EotPT still has a warm spot in my heart, and I
	enjoyed reading the two novels.

	One of the more fun (but more abusive of the
	rules) was my brother's "mascot".  He was
	playing a magic user.  One fine day, in a dungeon,
	he got an enchanted weapon as a treasure.
	<roll> Ah, a dagger, you can use it...
	<roll> Humph, it is intelligent....
	<roll> ... one spell ...
	<roll> ...flying?

	He named it "Dag". It would perch on his shoulder,
	until a monster appeared.  "Sic 'um, Dag!"

	Dag would say "Yeah, boss.." and fly at the monster.
	Dag would then say, "I'll write my name in the
	monster.... D!!  A!!!  awwwww, made a mistake,
	gotta erase it..." SLASH! SLASH! SLASH!!

      * A B S I T * I N V I D I A * V E R B O ** I D E M * S O N A N S *

-----+
http://www.clark.net/pub/nyrath/home.html |
nyrath@clark.net |
|  /_\	| Americans can be relied upon to do the right thing. After they
    |
| <(*)> | have exhausted all the other possibilities.

|/_/|\_\|

| //|\\ |

-----+

Prev: Re: Age and Complexity Next: Re: Age and Complexity