Prev: Re: OGRE involvement? (Was: Complexity/Campaigns) Next: Re: Age and Complexity

Re: Helltank and Helltank Destroyer

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:39:25 +0200 (EET)
Subject: Re: Helltank and Helltank Destroyer

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Jonathan Jarrard wrote:

> During several periods of history, that has not been true.  No gun a
WWI
> destoryer mounted could hurt a battleship seriously, and even the
light
> guns mounted by a battleship could damage the destroyer (while the
> largest could sink or cripple one with a single shot).  Torpedoes were
> threat, but that's why battleships didn't travel alone.  The screening
> ships meant the destoryers couldn't put their torpedoes on target, and
> the battleship meant that light units couldn't defeat the screen.

While true of navies that had ample destroyers to throw around, and
generally a sound tactic if you had the resources for it, one must
remember that German ships of WWII went out almost always without a
destroyer escort of any kind -- yet I can not recall one getting hurt by

a torpedo attack from a lighter vessel EVER (finishing Bismarck off
doesn't count).

The Japanese managed to score a few cruisers but nothing bigger, and
they
were the best when it came to surface launched torps.

I think the offensive value of destroyer torps is somewhat overrated.
IMHO, it's more like a bee-sting than a wasp-sting -- defensive in
nature
(a bee dies delivering the sting, a wasp doesn't).

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: OGRE involvement? (Was: Complexity/Campaigns) Next: Re: Age and Complexity