Prev: Re: UFTWWWP Update: 1-17-98 Next: Re: DS II Figures

Re: Dragon Twins - New Kyoto Blockade

From: Brian <pdga6560@c...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:12:15 -0800
Subject: Re: Dragon Twins - New Kyoto Blockade

> Dragon Dwins - New Kyoto Blockade (Dragon Twins pt. 2)
> Full Thrust Scenario
> By Brian Bell
>
> Yeah! I like it!
>
> Really trivial and minor nitpick: it's "Drobovik" class, this being
the
> Russian for "Shotgun".
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger

Thanks! (I have corrected the typo).

However, (since I had the day off), I have just play tested the
scenario. And the ESU was delivered a CRUSHING blow.

The game lasted 4 rounds. I used the Vector Thrust rules. The
dice were about the correct mix (not skewn).

Average Speed:	DT: 20	ESU: 6

First Round
DT :Enter at 12. Destroyers accelerate to 20. Freighters and AF
Destroyers accelerate to 16.
ESU: Start at 0. Fighters launched (at start) Move toward
freighters. Battlecruisers and AF cruisers accellerate to 4 and
push 2 to the starboard (C:1 F:12 V:3). Destroyers accelerated 6
and turned 2 to port (C:10 F:10 V: 6). All ships out of range.

Round 2
Same as round 1

Round 3
DT: All ships maintain velocity. Destroyers on the Starboard wing
(Columbus, Hedgehog II, Andropov)turn facing 4 to port.
Destroyers on Port wing turn 4 points to starboard.
ESU: Fighters angled toward cruisers. Capitals and Cruisers
maintained course and speed. Destoryers turned 4 points to
starboard and applied 4 thrust (C:12 F: 2 V: 7).
This put most ships in front o the enemy, but with the enemy in
the rear or far side arcs. ADAF & C as AF reduced 2 fighter
groups to 3 fighters and the other to 4 fighters. Fighter fire
caused minor damage to one Freighter (2 points). Beam fire during
the round damaged 2 ESU Destroyers (about 2 points ) and one
Battlecruiser (3 points). ESU beam attacks caused minor damage to
a 2nd freighter (4 points).

Round 4
DT: Andropov destroyers launch all missiles (no missile
movement). All Destroyers reduce velocity. They do a 2 point turn
to face opposite course. Thrust 4. And turn 2 points back.
Freighters maintain course and speed.
ESU: Fighters anticipate Freighter possition and move to
intercept. Destroyers decelerate as per DT above. Capitals &
Cruisers maintained course but turn 2 points to Starboard (to
face Freighters).
This placed the DT destroyers behind the ESU Capitals and
Cruisers, in thier far starboard arc. The ESU Kutuzov destroyers
end up between 2 lines of DT destroyers. And the missiles less
than 1" from each of the Battlecruisers.
AF fire removed all Fighters. AF fire destroyed 5 of 12 missiles.
2 missiles hit 2 Capital ships and 3 hit the other. Each Capital
takes 8 - 13 points of damage. Capitals manage to damage a
Freighter past the first damage row (no criticals). But are
swamped by beam attacks from Destroyers. The ESU Kutuzov fall to
a combination of Pulse Torpedo fire from the DT Kutuzovs and beam
attacks from other destoryers.

Round 5
ESU forces ask, and are granted, permision to leave the field.
DT Freighters enter orbit.

Conclusion:
ESU forces need strengthening or the travel to the planet needs
to be increased. Changing the length for the Freighters to travel
would require a sliding table which is undesirable.

Possible suggestions (pick one or two NOT all):
Change the Capital from a mixed beam and fighter platform to a
beam & missile platform.
Add a larger capital such as the New Rome from Dragon Twins -
Suprise at Ohara (pt 1)
Add a carrier to swamp the DT AF fire
Add missile cruisers to ESU.
Reduce the number of DT forces to 2:1 rather than 3:1
Add a capital
Upgrade the Battlecruisers to Battleships or Battledreadnoughts.
Add screening Destroyers

--
Brian Bell
pdga6560@csi.com

Prev: Re: UFTWWWP Update: 1-17-98 Next: Re: DS II Figures