Prev: Re: Bad news Re: DS2 Infantry Next: Re: GZG - East Coast Convention - Prereg starts Jan 20th

Re: HELP NEEDED FROM OVERSEAS LIST MEMBERS!

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 00:37:22 +0100
Subject: Re: HELP NEEDED FROM OVERSEAS LIST MEMBERS!

You wrote:

> BTW, if anyone would like to contribute similar translations in any
other
> languages, for forces such as the Islamics (maybe Iranian?), Japanese
> defence fleet, Pan-Africans, Scandinavian Federation (Swedish?), New
> Israelis etc., these would be gratefully received as well for future
> use.....

OK, here's the Swedish terms:

(The) Navy/Fleet = Flotta(n)

 (The) Space Navy = Rymdflotta(n)

Ship classes:

Courier = Kurirskepp
Scout = Patrullskepp/Spaningsskepp (Patrullskepp is literally Patrol
Ship,
but I think it's likely the same ships will perform both roles)
Corvette = Korvett (..."Little sausage"?! Korv = Sausage, "ette" =
French
diminutive form...<VBG>)
Frigate = Fregatt
Destroyer = Jagare (literally "Hunter")
Cruiser = Kryssare
Light = Lätt
Heavy = Tung
Armoured = Pansar- (eg, Armoured Cruiser = Pansarkryssare)
Battlecruiser = Slagkryssare
Battleship (and anything bigger) = Slagskepp
Carrier = Hangarfartyg (...though "fartyg" is very specifically a naval
vehicle; "Hangarfarkost" (Carrier Vehicle), "Hangarrymdskepp" (Carrier
Spaceship) or something similar seems more likely.)

Since three of the five Scandinavian countries are stubborn
constitutional
monarchies, I strongly suspect that a Scandinavian Federation will be a
United Kingdom - only it's the Government that's united instead of the
Crown ;-) Swedish or  English would probably be the common language(s) -
most of the others understand us (but we usually don't understand them),
and everyone understands English...

I'm very hazy at Royal Navy (_your_ Royal Navy, that is, not one of
ours)
ranks, but if you send a more specific list I can dig up the closest
equivalents in the Royal Swedish Navy.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Bad news Re: DS2 Infantry Next: Re: GZG - East Coast Convention - Prereg starts Jan 20th