Prev: RE: How a minature should look Next: FT Campaign

RE: How a minature should look

From: "Haun, Gilles - SSG" <haung@e...>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:15:04 -0500
Subject: RE: How a minature should look

Just to add a little to what Jon has said, I'm a miniature collector,
gamer, and painter and I prefer the metal to the plastic.  Granted, the
metal is heavier, and more cumbersome to transport, but there is a
certain sense of sureness and ruggedness to a metal mini in comparison
to a plastic.

When I get a metal mini, I am amazed and fascinated at the amount of
detail the creator took to make it.  Also, I don't worry about paint
chipping off so easily due to the primer applied before painting.  To
me, the metal minis are more durable and sturdy for wear and tear.  This
is from the gamer/collector viewpoint.

>From the painter's viewpoint (and my personal viewpoint), I do minis
for
the enjoyment of it - painting them and seeing the looks on other
people's faces when I bring a newly painted mini into the office and set
it on my work place is fascinating.  I do it to relieve stress and the
first thing they mention is the amount of stress I must have had when I
painted something so small and detailed.  Its really amazing but it
gives a sense of accomplishment as well and they (the minis) are really
not that hard to paint or master.

Also, I prefer to play referree in my groups games.  1)  I'm the most
familiar with rules, and 2)  I have the largest collection.  For those
of you out there gaming who paint minis and referree can attest to this:
 There is a sense of pleasure (in a twisted sort of way) at watching the
other gamers 'fight' over which mini they want to use.	Watching them
move the minis you painted is a great feeling and I've noticed that
metal minis tend to stand up to the punishment inflicted on minis a
little better than plastics, aside from the economics of production.

Gil
 Murphy's Laws of Combat #5