Prev: Long range weaponry Next: RE: Kill Adien Stienke!!!

Big guns on small ships

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:33:14 -0000
Subject: Big guns on small ships

On Tuesday, December 16, 1997 1:00 AM, John Leary
[SMTP:realjtl@sj.bigger.net]
wrote:
>Bottom Line: It seems that
> a number of people do not think an 'A' Beam should be on an
> escort or cruiser class ship.   The reason:  The 'A' Beam is
> equated to the 12-18 inch gun of the battleships.
>      It is now time to ruffle some well aligned feathers!
> Fifteen inch guns were mounted on ships that displaced less
> than eight thousand tons in WWII.
> This may come as a shock to many, but it is a fact.

I'd be interested as an aside which ships these were.
However it was not 'that' common and a lot of British Navy
Cruisers in the early years were about 8 inch.

>      Part of the problem is the way the ship classed are divided,
> The size relationship between the destroyer and battleship was
> not maintained, and the cost was not considered as a factor at all.

I don't quite understand you here, are we talking about WWII or FT?
In WWII the size of a destroyer and battleship where significantly
different. Which costs, the cost of building a WWII battleship?

>      This is a way to ignore reality and use the navy terms
> in a sci-fi setting and not be bound by constraints the ship class
> titles impose.

What is a 'way'? Which 'reality' FT or WWII?

sincerely
tim jones
--
Reality is for those who can't cope with Science Fiction.

Prev: Long range weaponry Next: RE: Kill Adien Stienke!!!