Prev: Re: Epic to Dirtside Next: Re: ES - Review wanted

Re: Earth Force Source Book

From: Jonathan white <jw4@b...>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 14:46:34 +0000
Subject: Re: Earth Force Source Book

At 09:05 11/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Basically Jon T came out and said they tried to design as they saw and
>interpreted the show, AOG did the same. Both system/game/ship designs
>were submitted to WB for canonical approval, and both were accepted.
>So, you take it for what it's worth. My, personally I think the
Hyperions
>have jumpdrives. Just because we haven't seen them use them doesn't
mean
>they don't.  *shrug*
Therein, of course, lies the rub of designing things to somebody elses
fairly loose specification. It also doesn't mean they *do*. So what you
have to do is make a decision and accept that 50% of the time you are
going
to probably be wrong. It's not your fault, in that case.

>As for fighter squadrons, well...I think they carry one, but what do I
know?
I don't think B5 has ever specifically said how many fighters a squadron
*is* have they? Given some of the previous season battles (Severed
Dreams
springs immediately to mind, presuming they were Hyperions not Omegas) I
think 'an awful lot' is the answer. I think the way they have done it -
fighter groups but 1 launch bay - is as good a way to simulate it as
any.

The obvious point to make is that until someone actually *builds* a
hyperion class starship no-one can actually say 'look it's like THIS'.
So
it's not really something to get all that het up about, IMO. I'd be much
more interested in hearing whether the rules systems makes for a game
that
*feels* like a Babylon-5 battle, rather than whether the bolt on the
4,358th panel on the side of the Agamemnon is supposed to be square or
hexagonal.

			TTFN
				Jon

Prev: Re: Epic to Dirtside Next: Re: ES - Review wanted