Prev: Re: EF Sourcebook and Interceptors. Next: GZG Player Location Page - kinda sorta monthly posting

Re: EF Sourcebook, Carrier vs. Big Guns, and other thoughts

From: Doug_Evans/CSN/UNEBR@U...
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 11:50:02 -0600
Subject: Re: EF Sourcebook, Carrier vs. Big Guns, and other thoughts

Well, the Earthforce Source Book showed. Unfortunately, at the local
store,
and not my mail box. Don't know how far in advance the distributors
paid,
but I had figured my pre-pay would put me somewhere near the head of the
line. Mark can blame the PS; as for me, it's the last Chameleon Eclectic
product I'll knowingly buy.

I didn't look inside at the shop, and when it does make it to my door,
I'll
just put it up on the shelf. After playing with Zeke Sparks at GenCon, I
know it'd would suck me in, create in me the desire for any extensions
produce. I won't go there.

Concerning big ships susceptability to fighters: I always enjoyed what I
perceiived as a scissors / paper / rock between capitals, 'lesser' ships
and fighters. Using just the main list ships, I saw a tendency for
capitals(cruisers seemed to float between the extremes, becoming one or
the
other by situation; how like real life!), smaller ships could mass
enough
firepower, especially using C's as anti-fighter, to mess up fighter
squadron days, and fighters could be massed to take out big ships.

I imagine part of why the escorts could do so well was a house rule that
ships in 'squadrons' could use PDAF's to protect the squadron, as long
as
they were properly bunched.

It would seem strange that I never created odd thrust ships except that
always used even thrust as an unwritten rule. I probably still will. I
took
the example to indicate how to handle damaged drives; silly, as a thrust
ten would be beyond the max. Still, I would have prefered a round down
except that every ship would have at least one turn; damaged two-thrust
would never turn.

Course, that would go with the concept I had for a supership
confrontation
that had three behemouths moving in opposing but parallel courses JUST
out
of range, and unable to turn, but maybe I'll have it worked up by next
GenCon.

Does anyone have more miniature 'substitutions' in mind? I think it has
been suggested that the mid-range NSL's could be converted to B5
Earthforce, and maybe some of FSL's to Narn for CMD figs. Any other
sugggestions?

The_Beast

Prev: Re: EF Sourcebook and Interceptors. Next: GZG Player Location Page - kinda sorta monthly posting