Prev: Re: jump mines and ftl Next: [Fwd: Web Site Update]

Re: Elimination of written orders

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 15:34:14 -0800
Subject: Re: Elimination of written orders

Eric Ackerman wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of paperwork/written orders in a miniatures game. At
best
> it is too distracting from play, at worse it strains the honestly of a
> surprising number of players.
>
> To reduce or eliminate it, I'm considering using counters to indictate
> current thrust. They would be placed inverted at the start of each
turn,
> and revealed just before the peice is moved.
>
> Also, I am thinking about converting the game for use on a hex sheet.
>
> If anyone has used or experienced these two methods, or has other
ideas for
> reducing/eliminating as much paperwork as possible, please let me
know. You
> can post it directly to me, or to the list if there is enough
interest.

> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Eric,
     The current system I have installed into the game is simple
and eliminates written orders:

ORDER OF MOVEMENT;
1)  FT missiles
2)  Ships - thrust 1 and 2
3)  Ships - thrust 3 and 4
4)  Ships - thrust 5 and 6
5)  Ships - thrust 7 and 8
6)  Fighters
    NOTE:  Fighters need to be in base to base contact to have
	   combat.
7)  Combat occures in reverse order
    NOTE:  All combat within a step is considered simultaneous.

Advantages:  No order writing.	 Escort class ships may fire once
	     before they go away.   Movement can be more closely
	     monitored. (If this is a problem)
Disadvantages:	More than likely it will not be much faster than
		written orders.(unless you have someone who is
		really, really slow)

If you have questions, just ask.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: jump mines and ftl Next: [Fwd: Web Site Update]