Prev: Re: FTL Mines Next: Re: The Waiting Is OVER !!

RE: cm scale

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 19:23:06 +0000
Subject: RE: cm scale

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.971124102748.11603A-100000@swob.dna.fi>
	  Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@swob.dna.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Samuel Penn wrote:
>
> > Why? Play with a fixed war zone, and rule that ships that
> > leave the play area never come back. Practicality then limits
> > the speed of ships, since if you travel too fast, you're out
> > of the battle.
> >
> > This way, you don't need artificial limits (or PSB).
>
> Space is, by definition, limitless. By requiring ships to stay on the
> board you are imposing an artificial limit, which IMHO is even more
> ridiculous than speed caps.

I'd go the other way, and say speed caps are more ridiculous
than area caps. If you're playing on a limitless area (a
moving table, changing scales, or a really big hall), then
I can't see much reason for needing speed caps.

I'd say both are unwanted limitations, but since we normally
have to play with the first, keeping all the capping there
makes more sense.

Of course, if someone's got a really good idea on getting
around the problem of finite play areas, I'd love to hear it.

> "Sorry, you just can't fly past Pluto without FTL."

"Sorry, you just can't fly faster than 30km/s or the giant
space hamster will eat you."

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: FTL Mines Next: Re: The Waiting Is OVER !!