Prev: SV: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions Next: Re: Unfair Kamikazes?

SV: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 00:55:03 +0100
Subject: SV: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions

John Leary wrote:

>      If operating in the defensive mode certain assumptions can be
made
> with no great danger of being wrong.
> 1) The ship got here, it must have an FTL drive.
> 2) The ship is moving, it must have thrust(of some value).
> 3) The ship has been built by the Universal Shipbuilding Company (Ltd)
>    and has FCS based upon its mass/class.   (JTL)

The last you can't assume. Even the basic FT rules allow you to buy
extra
fire cons... The other two are fine (especially 1, for most races - but
where are the engines on a Minbari ship? <g>)

> ...  One can suspect that at a range of 9 the ship can be observed on
> some form of visual sensor.

This depends on your gaming scale. A long time ago, someone (sorry,
don't
remember the name) derived a scale from the orbital mechanics in MT,
where
one turn is roughly 15-20 minutes and one measuring unit is about 1000
km;
this is what I prefer to use. I'm not entirely sure that visual sensors
would work very well at such ranges - but OTOH needle beams wouldn't
either
<g>

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: SV: Of Sensors and Needles - Some Questions and Suggestions Next: Re: Unfair Kamikazes?