Prev: Re: Skytrex Starguard range Next: Re: Revision Numbers

RE: cm scale

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 18:15:34 +0000
Subject: RE: cm scale

[BIG SNIP]

>> Thus a speed cap is in order. This might be a constant for all ships
>> (e.g. "c"), or depend on the ship (e.g. "hull vibration" and similar
PSB).

>Yep, I agree this is plausible. PSB can be G forces etc.

If you want a semi-plausible PSB reason for speed capping, why not use
the
one that Weber uses in the Honor Harrington novels - strength of
particle
shielding. At higher than a certain velocity, a ship's shielding can't
cope
with the density of particles, micrometeorites etc that it will be
running
into. This could give rise to warships having higher allowed maximums
than
merchants, etc.

Please note:

1) This is probably total PSB for the sort of speeds we're actually
talking
about, but what the heck?

2) This is NOT an "Official Rules Suggestion" - just an idea for those
of
you who WANT to cap speed for whatever reason.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Skytrex Starguard range Next: Re: Revision Numbers