Prev: Re: FT graphic ship generation program Next: Aliens Power Loader from Leading Edge

Re:Small ships

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:36:47 +0000
Subject: Re:Small ships

In message <3.0.32.19971110054228.0068cf54@spiritone.com>
	  "Joseph A. Troche" <trochej@spiritone.com> wrote:

> Wasn't it Douglas Fairbanks Jr, who spanked a couple of German
destroyers
> in his PT boat during WWII?  I believe he sank one and had the other
one in
> distress.  We know what happens when a mass 2 (or 4) ship encounters 2
mass
> 14 enemy ships in Full Thrust!

The equivalent would be a mass 4 ship carrying a missile.
As long as the missile hits, you take out the mass 14 ship
on an average damage roll.

Of course, trying to hit with a single missile is damn
difficult (I've always though missiles should move _after_
ships, with an increase to the effectiveness of PDAFs).

> >	It may have been me talking about the small ships, but then it
may
> >have been someone else long before I joined the list.
> >
> >	The suggestion i have to 'solve' the small ship problem is;
> >1) Escorts are at minus one on the To Hit die roll, (this means that
> >an escort ship cannot take double damage)
> >2) Cruisers have no modifiers.
> >3) Capital ships are plus one on the To Hit die roll.
> >The above apply to beam weapons only as other systems have different
> >To Hit and damage conditions.

Ban shields and armour. Small ships tend to carry beam
weapons, which are ineffective against shielded targets.
The lack of shields will greatly reduce the survivability
of the larger ships.

Increasing the damage done by weapons against larger
ships seems wrong to me.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: FT graphic ship generation program Next: Aliens Power Loader from Leading Edge