Prev: More Bio Forces Ideas Next: Re: Jovian Chronicles GZG Adaptation

Re: Starship Troopers: I've got a wonderful Grinchy Idea...

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 21:48:52 -0800
Subject: Re: Starship Troopers: I've got a wonderful Grinchy Idea...

Stuart Ford wrote:

> <<What I want to know is why send youngsters to die armed with weapons
> that obviously had little effect on the bugs.  And hadn't anyone
> given any thought to a proper perimeter defense (claymores would have
> been extremely effective it seems to me!!)  - the director and
> the producers obviously avoided having any military personnel as
> advisors - didn't want to sully their "vision" of the project!!
>

> They seemed to have forgotten the little nukes they carry.  That would
have
> helped slow down the influx of bugs by hitting them as they were
approaching
> at range.
>
> Stuart F.

TWIMC,

     The TO+E for the SST is very slim indeed.	 Four shotgun(?)
shells to the squad, one grenade to the 'man of destiny' in the
company , one nuke to the regiment.   Lets face it guys, the supply
types gave them a nuke on the last landing, the MI used it up on the
very first drop that they made!   You can't really expect to have
another nuke handed out to people who dont take care of thier
equipment!

Suggestions for those who have yet to see 'SST".
1) Suspend belief.
2) Suspend disbelief.
3) Cancel Logic.
4) Cancel Tactics.
5) Ignore the Love Story. (Star crossed Lovers?)
6) Remember the Alamo. (Or Zulu)
7) Try to figure out why Dougie Houser was telling the general
   public how to kill bugs with one burst, but this information
   was not passed on to the MI Troops.
8) Try to figure out how the ships that were cut in half made it
   back to the starbase?
9) Try to figure out why the ships did not adopt a nose down attitude
   when in orbit?  (this would have reduced the target aspect by 80%)

By the way, they leave a very messy battlefield.

I did enjoy the movie, even with the many flaws.

Bye for now,
John L.
6)

Prev: More Bio Forces Ideas Next: Re: Jovian Chronicles GZG Adaptation