Prev: Re: Opinions on The Complete Wargames Handbook? Next: Re: Starship Troopers: I've got a wonderful Grinchy Idea....

Starship Troopers: I've got a wonderful Grinchy Idea....

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 23:04:01 -0600
Subject: Starship Troopers: I've got a wonderful Grinchy Idea....

Dear Friends:

	Tonight I went to my local game store to play a spot of
Flintloque (my
Ork Rifles whipped the tails off of some Osterian Dog Soldiers) and the
topic of Starship Troopers came up.  All of us were in agreement that
the movie sucked moose genitals and the book was better. (All except one
who actually liked the movie.	We had to resort to "TORTCHA" until he
agreed with us.)  Of course, being gamers, we decided that it would be
cool to game SsT.  I mentioned SGII (as system that the store offered,
but no one plays) and that it might be well suited for our needs.
	Then we talked about modeling.	Galoob came out with some
micromachine
bugs.  I suggested that we could modify these by gluing weapons from the
Evil Empire's Space Elves onto the toy's claws.  Of course, for scale
sake the figures for the M.I. would have to be 15 to 10 mm figs (Do they
make PA figures in that scale?	I thought of RAFM's Northern Heavy
Infantry for Heavy Gear, but they don't look beefy enough.) Another idea
is to use the Evil Empire's 25mm Space Marines and use the Galoob
"action fleet" sized bug.  The problem with either idea is price.  To
get a playable sized force, you need to get anywhere between 16 to 20
bugs.  Since both the Micromachines (which only come with 1 warrior bug)
or the action fleet costs about 7 bucks per pack.  140 american dollars
for a bunch of plastic bugs?  If you were anything other than a 40k
player (who aren't too stable to begin with) I'd say you were nuts.
True I could use cheap plastic spiders found in any joke or toy store
BUT I LIKE THE MOVIE BUGS! (They were the film's only redeeming
characteristic.)
	When we started talking about scenarios, I hit them with an idea
that
they really would like:  Capturing the Brain Bug.  This scenario is
played on too tables.  The first part would be played above ground where
the M.I. Troopers were trying to reach the entrance to a bug hole in
order to capture a brain bug (who is underground commanding it's squads
of warrior bugs).  When and if the troopers make it the hole, the
players would switch to another table where they would travel through a
maze in to find and capture the bug.  (Attention KR!  This would be a
good time to throw in a plug for Geo-Hex's CavernScape system.) Imagine
a game like that at Gen Con.
	I haven't worked out the rules just yet, I'll pour over the
Novel and
the SGII rule book for ideas.  If I can work something out, I'll post it
here.

--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

	"Well Mike, I guess it's just a magical land.  I HATE MAGICAL
LANDS!"

			--Crow T. Robot
			MST3K, "Jack Frost"

E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu