Prev: Re: Pendraken Figures Space ships are cool! Next: Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>>

Re: Starship Troopers Review--game stuff added to keep it on topic

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 23:09:58 GMT
Subject: Re: Starship Troopers Review--game stuff added to keep it on topic

On Sat, 08 Nov 1997 11:25:17 -0500, Los <los@cris.com> wrote:

>One thing that  I was surprised with
>was the fact that despite having Dale Dye as their military advisor,
>many easy mods to the film were left out. Don't these guys use tactical
>formations in the future?  Fire team wedges, immediate action drills
>etc. etc. Every scene is a huge swarm of SSTs stepping all over each
>other, or you get ten troopers circling a bug firing at it from the hip
>with no friendly fire.

Worse than that, there's a point where the troopers stand in a circle
firing at a bug in the middle. Didn't these guys ever hear of
crossfire? This was so BLATANTLY stupid that I think it was part of
the parody.

> Also not much in the way of Fire support in the
>future for the MI I guess, not crew served weapons attached to the line
>companies OR orbital bombardment support.

The only ones to use combined arms were the bugs.

>While maybe giving a
>nod to some notion of coed combat units in the future, I feel that the
>inclusion had a lot to do with packaging the film for today's audience.
>The while movie is filled with those kinds of decision, which of course
>leaves us curmudgeons grumbling.

As I mentioned in my review, I didn't find the shower scene sexual,
and my friend Lorna actually found it refreshing. When this film hits
the international market I think it will do incredibly well and the
shower scene will be no big thing.

>Someone mentioned that there's a 15mm version of the bugs out? I'd like
>to grab some of those for Stargrunt. I do have a couple bags of spiders
>for DS II (these are microarmor size.)

The bugs are actually closer to 20mm. I checked them out today. They
come in two packs. One is a Battle Pack with one bug and three
troopers. The bugs are either a standard warrior bug covered in green
goo and looking the worse for wear, a tanker bug, a brain bug, or a
"hopper" (flier?" bug. The bigger packs have a better warrior bug and
two troopers, a larger tanker bug and two troopers, or one of the
trooper vehicles and two troopers. The Battle Packs cost C$10 (US$7,
or £5). The other pack is probably C$15 (US$11, £8).

Allan Goodall  -  agoodall@sympatico.ca

"The secret rules of engagement are hard to endorse,
 when the appearance of conflict meets the appearance of force"
		       - The Tragically Hip

Prev: Re: Pendraken Figures Space ships are cool! Next: Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>>