Prev: Re: Irregular Spaceships Next: Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>>

Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>>

From: Fabet@a...
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 22:38:59 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>>

<< Some chance. Expect pissing and moaning on every sci-fi oriented
 net forum for the duration.

 I'm guessing Starship Troopers holds a place in the collective
 heart of sci-fi fans because so many people read it when they were
 children.

 Heinlein was a children's author. I wish I'd read ST when I was
 12, or so, rather than being twenty-something. It would have been
 great to stomp about for a week or two with a new found sense of
 Moral Philosophy recieved unquestioned from Uncle Bob. It would
 have suited me really well, since at that age I was a hardcore
 Marxist-Leninist. Seriously. Disenfranchise all who will not serve
 the state in heroic strife and toil. I'd have loved it.

 Why are people bitching about tits and ass in the film? I read
 loads of Heinlein when I was young enough not to find it insulting
 and I recall striking theme of gratuitous nudity. Maybe Bob was in
 the same hot-tubs as Allan.

 That's what I remember most of RAH. Ludicrous over-educated
 heroes, gratuitous nudity and gratuitous incest. And swordfighting.
 Couldn't he have just seen a psychiatrist? Did he have to write it
 down?

 Blond hair? Blue eyes?... didn't I read that the director's next
 project was a revisionist Hitler biopic?

 --
 David Brewer

 Sender: owner-ftgzg-l@bolton.ac.uk
 Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 22:59:32 GMT
 From: db-ft@westmore.demon.co.uk (David Brewer)
 To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk

Your kidding right? Your writing this just to the devil's advocate, not
because you really believe it?

Prev: Re: Irregular Spaceships Next: Re: SPOILER<<STARSHIP TROOPERS REVIEW>>