Prev: Re: Bio-Forces -- Was: SG2/DS2 help wanted... Next: Re: FT: Empress Arianna Tournament Update

Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 20:52:16 -0800
Subject: Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

Jonathan Davis wrote:

> John Leary wrote:
> >
> > TWIMC,
> >	 The entire debate about pulse torpedos/submunitions assumes
> > that the escort is attacking a slow moving capital ship w/thrust
> > of three or less.
> >	 The pulse torpedo is more important against ships that can
> > 'MOVE'.   By 'MOVE' I mean thrust five or better ships.
> > In a current campaign, my thrust five battledreadnought squadron
> > has managed to elude not less than 30 missiles (in two salvos).
> >	 I contend that submunition armed escorts could not have done
> > much better (I.E. close to within six inches for full effect).
> > Due to the even more limited firing arc.
> >
> > Let the debate continue, only success can prove anyones claim.
> >
> > Bye for now,
> > John L.
>
> The majority of capital ships encountered will be the thrust 2
> or 3 variety.  A thrust 5 DN with Level 3 screens presents a
> problem all of its own.  I suspect with the Third edition of
> the FT rules, such a ship will still be feasible, but not packing
> much in the way of weaponry with the mass-for-thrust rule
> changes.  Plus the elimination, if I recall, of the level 3
> screen protection.
>
> Jon Davis
> davis@albany.net
Jon,
     I see nothing, I know nothing, about 'FTIII".

     Actually I may have to retract that statement, Phil Pournelle
ran a game two months ago.   That game may have had portions of the
'FTIII' rules in it.
     Notable item:
   A large increase in the size of the major ships.  80 to 160 mass
   ships abounded.  This I suspect is due to the mass increase
   required for multiple fire arc beam weapons.   The increase
   in size of ships coupled with the reduction in firepower
   resulted in the game having a duration of greater than five (5),
   count them, five hours.

     But then, maybe he was just trying out something new,
a personal experiment.	 The game was well done, well run,
just looonger than expected.
(By the way the Rebellion stomped the Empire.)

Sorry, I have drifted away from the Pulse Torpedo subject.
I'll quit while behind.
Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Bio-Forces -- Was: SG2/DS2 help wanted... Next: Re: FT: Empress Arianna Tournament Update