Prev: Re: Flame wars (was RE: Win95/NT Ship Generation program?) Next: Re: Internet Message

Re: Internet Message

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 01:47:06 GMT
Subject: Re: Internet Message

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997 08:19:58 -0400, "Haun, Gilles, SSG"
<haung@Eustis-EMH10.army.mil> wrote:

>Allan, I really find stereotypes annoying.

Sorry that you took offense, Gilles, but it was only made in jest. I'm
a sarcastic bastard, but I don't like using "smilies." That's why I
added the Princess Di comment, I thought the ridiculousness of the
comment was obvious. In fact, I'm a Scot myself (by birth) and thus
fall into the Brit part of my comment. A number of long time list
members know that, so they probably caught the irony in my comment.

>Being an AMERCIAN, it never
>ceases to amaze me how many times us 'colonists' find ourselves the
>brunt of a joke from Englanders and Canadians.

Okay, now as a Scots born Canadian, I must protest. Do you know how
many times it IRKS Scots to be lumped in the general category of
"English?" Or having people say, "Oh, sorry, I was talking about
Brits, not Scots," without realizing that Scots aren't English but ARE
Brits or British? Or do Scots not make Americans the "brunt of their
jokes?"

>I'd rather find a
>private response to the individual done rather than an open attack on a
>person for his 'nationality'.

It wasn't intended as an attack. If you took it that way, I apologize.
I had meant to put something ironinc and sardonic about Canadians at
the end of the comment--just to reinforce the irony--but we're so
boring I couldn't think of anything...

> I don't take snide remarks at other countries.  Let's keep
>personal prejudisms OFF the line;  This isn't the place for personal
>vendettas.  Lets keep this place fun.

You've read far too much into my comment. I'm probably the least
prejudiced person you're likely to run into. Maybe a little
insensitive, but certainly not prejudiced...

Allan Goodall  -  agoodall@sympatico.ca

"The secret rules of engagement are hard to endorse,
 when the appearance of conflict meets the appearance of force"
		       - The Tragically Hip

Prev: Re: Flame wars (was RE: Win95/NT Ship Generation program?) Next: Re: Internet Message