Prev: Re: Vector Rules Next: Re: Vector Rules -- engines

Re: Vector Rules -- engines

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 18:59:25 +0100
Subject: Re: Vector Rules -- engines

>Daryl Poe writes:

>@:) 3) Finally, a while back I had some crazy ideas for different types
>@:) and combinations of engines and rotational thrusters, which I'll
>@:) attach.
>
>  I like all of these.  I think, especially, the idea of having
>multiple engines on a ship is a good one.  I wouldn't even mind seeing
>ships with more than 8 thrust, if they dedicated all their space to
>engines.  This sounds like it might tie in with some of the proposed
>new (FT3) rules I saw some time ago.  Care to add it in, Jon?
>
>-joachim

Under the current FT3 testing draft, you have ALL your ship's mass to
play
with (not just 50% as in FT2), but have to pay mass to fit drives.
Currently we have FTL drives at 10% of total mass, and main drives
(normal-space) at 5% mass per thrust factor; so, yes, you can have a
thrust-10 ship by spending 50% of your total mass on the drives (plus
another 10% if you want FTL, of course). I suppose the ultimate "fast
ship"
would be (say) a mass-10 non-FTL boat using 90% of its capacity for
drives,
giving it thrust-18 (!!), but only 1 mass left over for anything else (1
C-batt??). One hell of a space hotrod....  :)

The multiple-engine-icon concept is something we've toyed with (and is
used, in one form, in the due-any-minute EA sourcebook B5/FT rules). We
may
be able to use something like this in FT3.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Vector Rules Next: Re: Vector Rules -- engines