Prev: Interplantery backgroud Full Thrust. Next: Re: realistic fleets

Re: Realistic Fleet sizes

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:31:37 -0400
Subject: Re: Realistic Fleet sizes

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Jonathan Davis wrote:

> > >Another source of information for this could be found in the
> > >GDW Trillion Credit Squadron book for the Traveller game.
>
> > I was thinking along the lines of the NSL may have -say- four fleet
> > carriers, 5 superdreadnoughts and so on.
> >
> > OK, so another reason why I was thinking about fleet sizes is that I
looked
> > recently at the Bifrost NSL page, he has a photo of a huge fleet, I
was
> > impressed plus I thought the if it were 'real' then surely it would
> > represent a large proportion of the entire NSL fleet.
>
> I found Trillion Credit Squadron and it lists a rough formula of
> an annual naval budget of 500Cr x Population x Government modifier.
> The standing navy is a factor of 10 times the annual budget.
>
> Converting Traveller credits to Full Thrust points is approximate,
> but based on a destroyer design and an FT cost of 100, 20MCr = 1 FT
Pt.
> It seems high, since a 2 Billion population world would generate
> 50,000 FT points per year.   Divide by ten and we have a 2 Billion
> world with a budget of 5,000 pts and a fleet of size 50,000 pts.
>
> Rounding... 4 Carriers  4,000
>	      5 SDN	  5,000
>	     10 BDN	  8,000
>	     16 BB	  8,000
>	     40 CA	 10,000
>	     40 CE	  8,000
>	     40 CL	  8,000
>	     80 DD	  8,000
>	     60 FF	  5,000
>	     40 CT	  3,000
>		       ---------
>			~70,000 Pts.
>
> Just some thoughts....
>
> Jon Davis
> davis@albany.net

Only problem is that no one colony world will have this level of
population. I can see this as a sector fleet, maybe, with the population
spread over a dozen or more planets - but even then, it seems too large
population. Alot of planets could well have only a few million people,
many less, so it would take a big sector to field a fleet this
massive...60 Frigates???!

It's entirely possible that an entire POWER wouldn't have 2 billion
people...the ESU does certainly, and maybe the NAC, possibly the PAU or
IC, but the rest? The OU, FCT, etc? I can't see it... And a lot of the
powers that could have 2 bill. have industrial-base problems or tech
probs - esp. the PAU, probably...maybe the IC.

My $0.02....

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Interplantery backgroud Full Thrust. Next: Re: realistic fleets