Prev: Re: FTL Sytems-Game Implications... Next: HELP:Unsubscribing

Re: FTL Sytems-Game Implications...

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:31:10 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL Sytems-Game Implications...

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:

> Mike Wikan writes:
>
> @:) OK. If we postulate multiple FTL/Sidereal sytems that sidestep the
> @:) lightspeed problem, what are the mass penalties, etc. In FT it is
> @:) assumed that about 25% of a ship's mass is taken up by their
> @:) "Hyperdrive" style FTL. This would follow all rules postulated by
> @:) the rules.
>
> @:) Any additions? comments?
>
>   Additions are easy, anyway.  This is an idea for a portal-based FTL
> system, perhaps similar to that seen in the Buck Rogers TV show.
>

>   Jump Gate Generator
>   Mass: 40
>   Cost: 100
>
>   This component can open a gate into hyperspace.  The gate opened by
> this component is large enough to allow a ship of mass 25 to pass
> through.  The effects of any group of JGGs that are mutually within 6"
> can be added.  Thus a cluster of four JGGs could create a gate large
> enough to accomodate a ship of mass 100.
>
>   The gate effect is generated within 12" of all participating ships
> and continues for a number of turns equal to twice the number of JGGs
> used to create the gate.  Once opened, no maintenance is required to
> keep the gate in operation.  While the gate is open, any ship of small
> enough mass may enter hyperspace by moving within 1" of the gate
> location.  A ship larger than the specified mass will not enter
> hyperspace and will take nd3 damage, where n is the number of JGGs
> used to open the gate.
>
>   A JGG remains in operation until the gate it has created collapses.
> During this period, it may not be used to open another gate.
>
>   Once in hyperspace, ships may only move one hex per strategic turn.
> However, if another gate is activated at the same time as the first,
> the ships may move instantaneously to the second gate.  A JGG must be
> used to open a gate out of hyperspace into a hex where no gate is
> present.  The gate out of hyperspace is large enough to accomodate any
> vessel.  Vessels using a jump gate to enter hyperspace are not
> required to carry any FTL drives.
>
> -joachim

This sounds pretty cool, although with the size of the Generator you'd
be
nearly obligated to have dedicated "Jump Ships", enough for the whole
fleet -- and if those got KO'd you'd be in deep, deep trouble.

I like the idea of simultaneous gates allowing farther travel - it makes
settled systems easier to connect, and would lead to a smaller colonies
struggling to afford a double-gate link to make commerce easier (and
other
travel).

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: FTL Sytems-Game Implications... Next: HELP:Unsubscribing