Prev: Re:Kryomek stuff Next: Re: Updated DSII/CENTURION Text (now with examples!)

Different FTL methods - was FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

From: Chan Faunce <channing@g...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:53:03 -0400
Subject: Different FTL methods - was FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

Brian Burger wrote:

> The problem I have with the 'every race has a different FTL method' is
> simple: laws of physics are universal. Every races radios and nuclear
> devices are going to work the same, so it would follow that the
methods of
> FTL travel would follow the same principles. The technology and
details
> would differ a small amount, but the basic underlying physics would
remain
> identical.

Even in the real world there are different methods of powered movement:
Deisel engines, gasoline engines, electric motors, jets, rockets; all
are used to propellel automobiles, but rely an very different principles
and equipment. I don't see why 2 different races would have to use the
same method for FTL travel. Perhaps a race discovers a wormhole just
outside of there solar system when they reach a level of sub-light
propulsion to get that far, they would then lock on this method of
interstellar travel, perhaps bypassing several systems that they just
couldn't get to. A second race has there version of Zephram Cochran and
invents a way to bypass the speed of light and are able to go to any
system they wish.

It seems to me that technology follows a rather linear progression
(with  the occasional side-step and leap) once a method of doing
something is discovered. This is the reason for +99% of autos being
gasoline or deisel, a method is invented/discovered and refinements are
made to the exclusion of other research.

Chan Faunce
--
It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
It is through the beans of java that thoughts aquire speed,

Prev: Re:Kryomek stuff Next: Re: Updated DSII/CENTURION Text (now with examples!)