Prev: Re: Star Maps and SPI Next: Re: Monoculture Aliens, etc.

Re: Faster Than Light Travel

From: Chan Faunce <channing@g...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 20:43:22 -0400
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light Travel

Deeply in Love with Dot wrote:

> Indeed. It's spin. The idea is you take a neutron (I think it was) and
> split it into an electron and it's opposite, a positron I think. A
> consequence of this fission process is that one spins clockwise and
the
> other spins anticlockwise. You can then separate them. If you use (I
think)
> a magnetic field to affect the spin of one, it also seems to affect
the
> spin of the other simultaeneously. Whether this is FTL or at the speed
of
> light was being argued, but I *think* it has actually been done
> experimentally rather than just being a theory. Going form that to an
> efficent telecoms system is another kettle of fish though.   Note that
> another side effct is that such communication would have no maximum
range
> or suffer from interference. Sorry if I'm a bit vague on this but it
was
> just happening when I dropped out of a physics degree..

Just saw this on The Learning Channel. they had it down as occurring
*instantaneously* over any distance, and that it has been done in a lab
(one of the particle accelerators rings). I find it interesting that
most sf books I've read have FLT flight as routine, through whatever
means, but have trouble with communications. Honor Harrington and Miles
Vorkosigan series come to mind.

Chan Faunce
--
It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
It is through the beans of java that thoughts aquire speed,

Prev: Re: Star Maps and SPI Next: Re: Monoculture Aliens, etc.