Prev: OFF TOPIC Re: Star Trek background - Reply Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel

Heredetary links in the military

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 07:13:40 -0400
Subject: Heredetary links in the military

Hello,
	In the United States history there have been a large number of
families
who had a tradition of entering into the military, particularly the
Navy.
The early United States Navy was dominated by officer like this.  I'm
certain that many other nations encounter the same effect.  Currently
this
is becoming more of the case as the post cold war draw down has occured.
Because the draft is not in effect and so few people have any knowledge
of
what life is like in the military, it is not surprising that the new
recruits are those who do have knowledge of the military from their
parents.
	In my case I crossed party lines and went into the Navy vice my
father's
and sister's choices to join the Army.	There are a number of second
generation Philipino officers  whose fathers became citizens by
enlisting
in the U.S. military, I'm sure there are many other groups who reflect
this
as well.
	Therefore, I cannot fault JMS for having his characters come
from a long
line of previous military folks, especially given the violent history of
EarthForce in B5.
	Besides, it adds color to what coul have been rather bland
characters.

Prev: OFF TOPIC Re: Star Trek background - Reply Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel