Prev: Re: SG - New Israeli's _ Eureka Miniatures Next: Fleet survey additional

Re: Gauss Weapons :was SG - New Israeli's _ Eureka Miniatures

From: "John D. Hamill" <finnmaccool@e...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 09:31:06 -0400
Subject: Re: Gauss Weapons :was SG - New Israeli's _ Eureka Miniatures

Steve Pugh wrote:

> > When I was living in Austin I had a friend who was at the Univ. of
> > Texas there. He worked in the same building as the scientists and
> > engineers who were working on "coil-gun" EM guns, and he said that
> > they were enormously LOUD!! Now the caliburs that they were working
> > with were larger than man-carry, but even scaled down the noise
> > level would be higher than modern weapons. At this point I don't see
> > where the noise reduction is going to come from.
>
> Do you happen to know what produced the noise? Was it a sonic boom?
> Or was it somehow produced by the mechanism itself?
>
>	  Steve
>
> My other .sig is a Porsche.
>
> Steve Pugh.	    http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ax16/

I believe he said that the people he talked to (other students working
on the project) that it was the mechanism itself that made most of the
noise, the rest being the sonic boom. Something about very large,
rapidly moving mag fields. It might be possible with future tach to
quiet down the action, but if it is something integral to the working of
the coil gun it might not be possible.

Prev: Re: SG - New Israeli's _ Eureka Miniatures Next: Fleet survey additional