Prev: Re: Stargrunt forces Next: Re: When is a Dreadnought a Dreadnought

Re: Wet Thrust/Full Steam Playtest

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 05:19:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Wet Thrust/Full Steam Playtest

Allan Goodall wrote:

> At 10:30 AM 8/18/97 -0600, Binhan wrote:

snip

> >Since deck armor is not very prevalent, perhaps when crossing the T
and
> >firing down the deck(i.e. hitting from directly fore or aft of the
> >target), hits are calculated against the deck and not the hull.
>
> I don't think just crossing the T should make for deck hits. I think
it
> should be a function of range.

Factoring in deck armor versus Belt armor brings to mind something I had
read a while back...In (defunct) Metagaming's Interplay (house mag.) #4.

That issue had a designer's notes artical for Metagaming's Command at
Sea. In that artical, the designer said that older games either used a
composite armor value, or had the problem of setting a strict range at
which shells switched from belt to deck armor for hits.  The effect of
that was one momement your battleship was bouncing shells, the next it
was sunk!  He said they found a solution, but he didn't exactly discribe
it in the artical.

snip

> Allan Goodall:  agoodall@sympatico.ca
> "You'll want to hear about my new obsession.
>  I'm riding high upon a deep depression.
>  I'm only happy when it rains."    - Garbage

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Stargrunt forces Next: Re: When is a Dreadnought a Dreadnought