Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers Next: Re: When is a Dreadnought a Dreadnought

Re: Drake's The Tank Lords (was Re: 121st Marine Reaction Co.)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 03:03:51 -0400
Subject: Re: Drake's The Tank Lords (was Re: 121st Marine Reaction Co.)

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Christopher Weuve wrote:

> Drake's books can sometimes be confusing, because there is a lot of
double-
> dipping.  For example, first we had collection of short-stories and
background
> interludes called _Hammer's Slammers_.  Then the short story "The Tank
Lords"
> was published, in Pournelle's _There Will Be War_ series, IIRC.  The
_HS_ was
> reissued with "The Tank Lords" added to it.  Now there is a new book,
_The
> Tank Lords_, which not only includes "The Tank Lords" AND the
interludes from
> the original _HS_, but it also incliudes "Rolling Hot", which may or
may not
> be the sum contents of _Rolling Hot_, which I'm now beginning to think
may not
> have been a novel but a collection of three novellas or so, one of
which may
> have been called "Rolling Hot".  [For extra credit, diagram the above
> sentence. <grin>]

"Tank Lords" is also in one other book as a filler bonus...

> Anyone else having trouble keeping score?

It's a bit irritating... "should I buy this latest compilation for the
one story I don't yet have?"

But it stems from the fact that the original shorts were published in
magazines a long ago -- we're seeing compilations. Practically all of
the
newer stories are book-length.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers Next: Re: When is a Dreadnought a Dreadnought