Prev: When is a Dreadnought a Dreadnought Next: Re: Wet Thrust/Full Steam Playtest

Re: Dirtside Lite redux

From: david@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:44:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Dirtside Lite redux

In message <199708180421.AAA11072@smtp1.sympatico.ca> Allan Goodall
writes:
> At 11:33 AM 8/16/97 GMT, you wrote:
>
> Where the GW stuff comes in is tricky. You aren't writing a "40K
Universe
> game" but you are writing a conversion of epic or 40K for a different
game
> system. You are using the 40K trademarks (with proper citation) to
compete
> with the official products that use those trademarks. I'm not sure if
> there's an analogy for this. At any rate, you might legally be okay
just
> putting down the citation for the trademark, but that's probably not
going
> to stop GW from suing you. According to Leann, they'd have a good
case.

I don't think so. Quite by coincidence I came accross a pamphlet
issued by the (British... Royal... whatever) Patent Office about
intellectual property rights. It summed trademark law in a few
paragraphs and, as I recalled form earlier reading, it all comes
down to whether or not you are passing off your product as by, or
approved by, the trademark holder, in order to cash in on the
reputation invested in their trademark.

Frankley, since the idea is to cash-in on the *bad* reputation of
GW, and make doubleplus certain that people know that the product
*isn't* by them I'm pretty damned sure that the concept is flame-
proof, and we could call a Landraider a Landraider.

> Still, can you afford it if they decide to sue you over it
> anyway? Sure you'd win, but can you afford the financial burden until
then?

...did you hear of the "McLibel Two" out in Canada?...

--
David Brewer

Prev: When is a Dreadnought a Dreadnought Next: Re: Wet Thrust/Full Steam Playtest