Prev: Re: 121st Marine Reaction Co. Next: Re: Undeliverable Mail

Re: Strategic Thrust

From: Marshall Grover <mgrover@m...>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 18:01:20 -0400
Subject: Re: Strategic Thrust

While we are on the subject of strategic games, here's a little
something I
whipped up for everybody's consideration.

Third Empire

This is a very simple (I hope) grand strategic game of galactic
domination.
The
playing surface is any hex map. You are going to need a lot of counters
and 6
sided dice.

SEQUENCE OF PLAY

1) Economic Phase - players count up how many PP's each has.
2) Diplomacy Phase - Players negotiate treaties with other players.
3) Production Phase - Players spend their money.
4) Movement phase - Players move in PP order fewest to most.
5) Combat phase - Players resolve combat in PP order, fewest to most.

ECONOMICS

Each hex generates 1 production point.

The imperial capital is a level 4 capitol.

A Sector capital (capital level 2) may be declared in the center hex of
a 6
hex
area. This capital doubles the economic production of the area, but
allows
the
area to fall if the enemy takes it. This costs 50 production points. The
player may
upgrade this capital for double the amopunt of the prevoius level points
and
receive the level modifier.
Example:
Capital Level:	Points Cost:		PP generated
	1		0			6
	2		50			12
	3		100			18
	4		200			24

There is no limit to this progression.

TECHNOLOGY

Every player starts at a tech level of 1

For every 10 production points spent, you get a technology die roll when
the total
of the die rolls is 100 then the player increases a tech level. This
number
doubles
per tech level ex: 200 for lev 2, 400 for lev 3 and 800 for level 4.
There
is no limit
on the tech level a player can reach.

For each level of technology the player gets to roll 1D6 per factor for
combat.
For each level of technology the player cam move his fleets 2 extra
hexes.

SHIP CONSTRUCTION

The players can buy and train troops and starships.
Combat ships cost 10 pp per factor. There is no limit to this number.
	This can all be put into one ship or split any way the players
choose
Combat troops cost 5 pp per factor. There is no limit to this number.
	This may be put onto one or more planets or the "pool" this is
up to the
player.

The "pool" this is a central reserve of ships and troops, this may be
committed to
any battle the player sees fit, before or immediately after combat
resolution.
Either side, winner or loser, may commit any number of units from the
pool.
This
is made in writing before and after resolution. There MUST be a combat
presence in the sector before the pool may be committed.

MOVEMENT

The ships move a base of 6 hexes per turn. They may NOT move through an
enemy sector unless they are attacking the capitol.

COMBAT

Each combat is resolved one at a time. Starting wherever the players can
agree
too.

Space Combat
defender rolls 1d6 per factor. Every "6" destroys an attacking unit.
Attacker and defender may commit pool units
Attackers rolls 1d6 per factor. Every "6" destroys an attacking unit.
Attacker and defender may commit pool units

This continues until either player withdraws or is destroyed.
Ground units cannot influence the space battle.
Space units add 1 die per 5 factors to the space battle.

Ground Combat
Each surviving ship can deposit 1 factor of ground troops onto the
surface
Each capitol has an intrinsic defense equal to it's level. A level 4
capitol rolls 4
dice in combat, before any other ground units are counted.

The defender may NOT commit ground units from the pool to this battle,
nor
may
he commit space units (the attacker has space superiority), the defender
can
commit gound units BEFORE the space combat is finished.

Devistating planets.

Space units may attack the planet just like it is another space ship in
the
space
battle. This must be declared during the space battle. If this happens,
and
the
defender loses, the planet is devistated and the entire sector produces
nothing
and must be built up from scratch again.

Captureing planets

If the planet is captured by gound troops, it looses two capitol levels.
This
may drive it into the negative numbers. Treat these as newly explored
provinces.

Treaties/alliances
Treaties are left to the players but can include tech swaps, PP gifts,
selling
or buying ships. Giving ships or pool reenforcements. Literally anything

agreeable to the players goes.

Ending the game
The game ends when there is only one player left, one allinece left or
when one player, or alliance has defeated 2 other empires. Or when the
players
are tired of it.

NOTES
This is freeware and uncopywrited, so feel free to make changes to it.
If
you could just send me a copy of any optional rules you have made. I'd
like
incorporate them into another version, if practical.
 I designed this in a couple of hours on a boring Saturday night while
the
wife was playing diablo.
I was looking for a dirt simple strategic game with a lot of Axis and
Allies, a
little of Diplomacy, and a little of Masters of Orion in it. I hope I
captured the
flavor of these games.
If you have any questions I can me reached at:

Mgrover@mint.net

 Marshall Grover

"A Jedi's greatest enemy is himself." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Prev: Re: 121st Marine Reaction Co. Next: Re: Undeliverable Mail