Prev: Re: Battlefleet Gothic (was Re: Off topic Rugby thing.) Next: RE: Naval Units

Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 03:32:43 -0400
Subject: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Joe Banderet wrote:

> This is really GREAT information!!  Just out of curiosity, is there a
> "Galactic Governing Body" like an Empire, Federation, etc., etc. in
the
> 'Hammer's Slammers" universe?  If so, I assume they're as well armed
as
> Hammer's boys.

Not really. The wealthier planets can *afford* the same stuff, but do
they have the skill?

> And if this is true, do Hammer's Slammers ever mix it up
> with them?

In the very first Slammer story (chronologically)
Slammers spank the Nieuw Friesland forces using identical equipment.

And beginning with THE SHARP END, Slammers *are* the Friesland army!

Then there's the Bonding Authority that oversees all mercenary contracts

-- but their power is almost strictly financial/political.

A bit more notes:

Chronology: Slammers stories were originally shorts published in
magazines. They were NOT written in chronological order! Drake has said
this himself, and I have it on paper. There IS a certain amount of
chronology you can decipher from people's ranks etc.  but some of the
stories have no chronological connections at all.

The first book (Hammer's Slammers) has both the very first and the very
last true Slammers stories. All other books apart from The Sharp End
(which technically isn't Slammers anymore) happen between these two
stories.

Powerguns: Other powerguns mentioned in the books are 30mm Calliope
8-barrel arty defence system (several stories), 50mm AT guns (Hangman,
IIRC) and 150mm in tank destroyers (The Warrior), a near equal to a
Slammers supertank.

Other infantry weapons: Flechette guns are mentioned as the other choice

for premium infantry weapons, and they are used in Crossfire.

Defences: Because of their nature, powerguns can be stopped by ablative
armor particularly well. It is used in Crossfire for makeshift bunkers.
Slammers infantry wear clamshell armor, but its effectiveness against
powerguns isn't shown in the books.

Weapon ranges: All powerguns have LOS range -- it's just up to the
shooter
to hit something. In the "last" Slammers story, Steuben assasinates a
man
with a pistol shot from 500+ yards. In At Any Price (IIRC, it's the one
with the teleporting aliens), someone picks off a sniper with a pistol
or
subgun from 1.5 klicks or so. The Slammers helmet has *extensive* commo
and sensor equipment, and it can be tied to targeting.

> > Three Batteries, each of six 200mm GEV/SP Rocket Howitzers, one

Actually, IIRC some stories mention these as 150mm. It's either one of
the few consistency errors from Drake I've caught, or they have mixed
equipment.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Battlefleet Gothic (was Re: Off topic Rugby thing.) Next: RE: Naval Units