Prev: Re: Flank Speed sources Next: Re: Hammer's Slammers

Paper miniatures (was re: Eldar in DS II)

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:26:50 -0400
Subject: Paper miniatures (was re: Eldar in DS II)

On Aug 13, 1997 at 3:46:30 PM, Andy Skinner <askinner@avs.com> wrote:

> I've got some simple fold-together tanks and stuff you print out with
> PostScript, cut-out, and fold up.  They are very simple, but would be
> good for starting out, or getting your kids to play without breaking
your
> miniatures.

Great minds think alike!  <grin>  It just so happens I have done a bit
of
thinking about this recently, in the context of _Babylon 5 Wars_.   I
would
like to see 3D counters made out of a business-card size sheet of light
cardstock.  It is sgemented into four sections, and is designed to be
folded
into a trainagle, with two sections overlapping.  The two middle
sections have
side or top views of the ship:

Unassembled
+------------------+
|		   |
|		   |
+---+--------------+
|   |ship imagine  | FRONT
|   |(upside down) |
+---+--------------+
|   |ship imagine  |
|   |(rightside up)| FRONT
+---+--------------+
|		   |
|		   |
+------------------+

Assembled--Facing right
+---+--------------+
|   |ship imagine  |
|   |(rightside up)| FRONT
+---+--------------+

Assembled--Facing left
+--------------+---+
| ship imagine |   |
|(rightside up)|   | REAR
+--------------+---+

The rectangle to the rear of the ship image contains race, type, and
class,
and a unique ID number.

Note that most of us could produce these now, using Mike Wikan's counter

images, and prew-perforated Avery business card-size cardstock.  (These
would
have top views, however.)

FASA's _Renegade Legion_ series had vehicles that were little boxes,
which
gave you either six views or five views (_Interceptor_ had no bottom
view --
instead, it had the name and a space for decals representing kills.
While
this is nifty, it's a little more complicated, and the triangular form
means
that you don't need the end flaps.

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)	    _Exordium_: the fan web page
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)
<http://www.wizard.net/~caw/exordium.htm>

Prev: Re: Flank Speed sources Next: Re: Hammer's Slammers