Prev: Oceanic Union Page Updated. Next: Re: Metal minis vs. Plastic

RE: Decals

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 03:22:02 -0400
Subject: RE: Decals

On Tuesday, August 12, 1997 2:33 PM, Geo-Hex [SMTP:geohex@teleport.com]
wrote:
>> I'm investigating a line of paper that would allow us to make or
> download decals and print them on an inkjet printer.	A friend told
> me to check the catalog of a company called MicroMark that sells the
> paper.  I will update when I know more.
>
> KR, Geo-Hex

There are some references to using this on the associated modelling
newsgroups FAQ. There are a couple of problems, the ink can bubble bleed
and
flake off the film. The ink in the inkjet isn't very stable and degrades

unless you can fix it. These problems are documented in the FAQ's with
some
rather fiddly and risky workarounds like putting talc on the film to
soak up
the ink.

Rumour had it that a new generation of films were on the way, I'm not
sure if
MicroMark is the company developing them.

The best concensus is a Laser printer or color copier on water slide
decal
film gives much better results as the toner is dry and doesn't bleed. If
you
want color go to a copy shop with a color laser or copier (unless work
has
one :-) and a color copy of the artwork printed by your inkjet. However
all
color will be transparent and you can't do white (no white toner).

Some of the new hot wax printers are also good for decal film as the wax
is
stable and doesn't bleed and they can do white if you have the right
cartridge and a printer that supports it.

Otherwise there is a white decal film but you have to cut the design out
and
which rules out very complicated designs as you would have an ugly white
edge
depending on your skill with a X-acto knife.

You need the decal film which is expensive  - water slide decal film
suitable
for laser printers is made by Walthers

Walthers Part # 934-706821, Decal paper 8 1/2x11 4/, in HO scale, Retail
$7.98

See also

http://www.fn.net/~downen/tips.html

On this subject

sincerely
tim jones
--
I like green eggs and ham

Prev: Oceanic Union Page Updated. Next: Re: Metal minis vs. Plastic