Prev: RE: A Different Missile System for Full Thrust Next: Military Novels

Re: SG II Alternative models

From: Stuart Murray <smurray@a...>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 21:27:19 -0400
Subject: Re: SG II Alternative models

Furthur to this lot,

>> I can think of a number of times I've seen troops in action both in
>> print and on the TV when they are not wearing helments.  A few
>> examples off the top of the head are British army troops in Northern
>> Ireland, IFOR troops in Bosnia, UNPROFOR troops almost anywhere,
>> jungle troops, or paras/marines anywhere and special forces/secret
>> squirrel types which almost never seem to wear helmets.
>
>Special Forces I'll grant you, but for the rest have you been
>watching different news reports to me? In Northern Ireland th eonly
>time British troops wore berets (or whatever, depending on regiment)
>rather than helmets was during the long cease fire. Before that and
>since things broke down again they wore helmets.

The troops patrolling NI regularly used to wear berets, snatch squads
during the 70s riots could often be seen wearing berets.  I think things
are changing now since the new helmets are lighter while offering better
protection (still hot and sweaty as hell though !).

snip

>>  Plus, of course, I quite like painting my troops with berets,
>> which for me was the major reason.
>
>Can't argue with that. What colour are your NAC berets?

Khaki (a sort of dark khaki, black trim with a small gold
badge/optionally
blacked badge) , the colour of B coy 2nd Yorkshire Regiment.  Plus a
little
red flash on the left sleeve to represent to represent the badge for
wining
the 2 Yorks best Coy competition  (four years running !).

My other troops with berets are Grenadier Future warriors.  They are
part
of the 'Marroon Machine', for a mate of mine who was in the paras before
joining the secret squirrels in the SAS.

>> >Combat medics? or MASH types?
>>
>> Combat, guys with light weapons/SMGs and medical equipment to
>> accompany a platoon.
>
>There already are minis listed with "ammopack or medi kit" in the NAC
>and UN ranges. And the PAU range has a medic.

The NAC figure doesn't really cut it for me, not enough pockets/belt kit
suggest a medic just a rather slim box, but as it's the only one it does
in
a pinch.

>>>How about doing some GMS/L teams first?
>>
>> There are GMS/L which are hand carried, I meant the equivalent of
>> MILAN type teams man portable but not individual weapons.
>
><pedant>
>No that's the description of a GMS/L. We already ahve GMS/P troops
>which are the one man launchers. GMS/H are size two weapons and hence
>not man portable under the SGII rules.
></pedant>

OK sorry, I thought the GMS/P was the same as the GMS/L.

Stuart.

Stuart Murray

Department Of Molecular Genetics
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx
New York 10461

Tel: (718) 430 4289
smurray@aecom.yu.edu

Prev: RE: A Different Missile System for Full Thrust Next: Military Novels