Prev: RE: Metal minis vs. Plastic Next: Re: Seeking some scenery help

Re: SG II Alternative models

From: "Steve Pugh" <mafb90@p...>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 13:03:12 -0400
Subject: Re: SG II Alternative models

Stuart Murray wrote:
>Steve Pugh wrote:
>>Stuart Murray wrote:
>>>
>>> As an aside, how about some head variants of the NAC with berets.
>>>  I know there are some NAC troops with berets but I would like so
>>> see more.  Then perhaps I could field a unit or two of paras.
>>
>>I'd rather not have the berets. Real troops don't go into battle
>>without helmets.
>
> I can think of a number of times I've seen troops in action both in
> print and on the TV when they are not wearing helments.  A few
> examples off the top of the head are British army troops in Northern
> Ireland, IFOR troops in Bosnia, UNPROFOR troops almost anywhere,
> jungle troops, or paras/marines anywhere and special forces/secret
> squirrel types which almost never seem to wear helmets.

Special Forces I'll grant you, but for the rest have you been
watching different news reports to me? In Northern Ireland th eonly
time British troops wore berets (or whatever, depending on regiment)
rather than helmets was during the long cease fire. Before that and
since things broke down again they wore helmets.

Similarly in Bosnia and UN forces elsewhere, helmets are worn if
the situation is tense. Berets are only worn during times of cease
fire and peace talks.

In modern and SGII warfare you never know when someone will lob a
mortar shell at you. And the main use of helmets is protection from
shrapnel and similar.

> It seems to me that there are a number of cases where a soldier
> would not want to wear a helemet, instant recognition (UN troops,
> paras etc), helmets are heavy and sweaty (jungle troops) and so on.

UN troops paint their helmets blue for instant recognition! Much
easier to spot than a blure beret.

I'd like to see Gurkha minis in nush hats rather than berets. I can't
think of many examples if berets being worn in jungle warfare. Berets
are not very useful pieces of headgear when you really think about
it.

>  Plus, of course, I quite like painting my troops with berets,
> which for me was the major reason.

Can't argue with that. What colour are your NAC berets?

> >> Medics !
> >
> >Combat medics? or MASH types?
>
> Combat, guys with light weapons/SMGs and medical equipment to
> accompany a platoon.

There already are minis listed with "ammopack or medi kit" in the NAC
and UN ranges. And the PAU range has a medic.

>>> GMS/H ground mounts and crew
>>
>>How about doing some GMS/L teams first?
>
> There are GMS/L which are hand carried, I meant the equivalent of
> MILAN type teams man portable but not individual weapons.

<pedant>
No that's the description of a GMS/L. We already ahve GMS/P troops
which are the one man launchers. GMS/H are size two weapons and hence
not man portable under the SGII rules.
</pedant>

	Steve

--
"When I want your opinion, I'll ask for it."

 Stephen Richard Pugh	   http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ax16/

Prev: RE: Metal minis vs. Plastic Next: Re: Seeking some scenery help