Prev: Re: Detachments & actions in SG2 (attn jon) Next: Re: DSII Counters available at...

Re: Gurkhas in Stargrunt II.

From: Stuart Murray <smurray@a...>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:38:00 -0400
Subject: Re: Gurkhas in Stargrunt II.

>Just a quickie.
>
>The Stargrunt II timeline mentions Gurkhas briefly.
>Does anyone have any ideas for modifying the standard NAC TOE to
>represent them? And apart from causing terror in close assault (as
>mentioned on page 43) would anyone consider the need for any special
>rules?
>
>Jon, how about making three or four Gurkha miniatures? Normal NAC
>weaponry but with kukris and possibly one or two minor modifications
>to kit?

I think the greatest differences in the rules would be to do with
motivation, from what I've heard and read the Gurkas are very highly
motivated and professional troops, in addition to being fearsome close
assault troops.  I think some modifications should be made for specific
terrains, the Gurkas are excellent jungle troops but poor in Artic
regions.
So in jungle terrain perhaps increase the sensors to max, decrease the
amount of poor terrain, and possible always make the Gurkas CO and
highly
motivated.  Just one or two ideas to start thinking about.

The Gurkas generally use standard British Army kit, you could just use
the
exssiting NAC troops and paint the skin tones differently (but not the
officers !).  The only really different kit is the Kukuri (sp ?),
however,
I think it would be great to see miniatures representing the Gurkas in
true
jungle kit.

As an aside, how about some head variants of the NAC with berets.  I
know
there are some NAC troops with berets but I would like so see more.
Then
perhaps I could field a unit or two of paras.

OK so if I'm on a what I'd like to see in SG II miniatures mode here is
bit of a list:

NAC troops with berets
All troops with realistic rucksacks/bergens (I think the FSE bag is a
little puny and it has no straps?)
More belt order on all troops (don't these troops carry spare mags)
Special forces types with non-standard weapons
Vehicle crews with SMGs
Medics !
Door gunners for VTOLs
Light infantry for the NSL
Gurkas
Mortars and Crew
GMS/H ground mounts and crew

I think I'll pause there since I must go and do some work today !

Stuart.

Stuart Murray

Department Of Molecular Genetics
Albert Einstein College Of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx
New York 10461

Tel: (718) 430 4289
smurray@aecom.yu.edu

Prev: Re: Detachments & actions in SG2 (attn jon) Next: Re: DSII Counters available at...