Prev: Re: damn super dreadnoughts Next: Re: Starship Troopers & Armour

Re: Metal minis vs. Plastic

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 11:45:43 -0400
Subject: Re: Metal minis vs. Plastic

On Tue, Aug 5, 1997 at 11:02:51 PM, "ROBERTSON,Brendan"  wrote:

> Apparently, it also costs a lot more to produce a mould for plastics.
> know the Evil Empire's (tm) explanation for not making a new
Landraider
> mould (the old one broke) was that it was going to cost them US$20,000

> for a new one.

Having talked with a considerable number of knowledgeable people about
this
(GW employees, model builders with really espteric tastes that buy $75
kits,
people who cast their own things, etc.), and in the absence of any
comments
from Mr. Tuffley, here is the picture that I have:

1) Plastic casting material is muuch cheaper than metal.

2) Plastic molds, on the other hand, are much much much much more
expensive
than metal molds, so much so that I think the above quote of $20k for a
new
mold may be an order of magnitude too small.

For this reason, you only seen plastic minis in boxed games or in bigger
sets,
where they expect to sell a bazillion copies.

As far as the plastic detail versus metal detail, take a look at the
plastic
terminators in the new version of _Space Hulk_ -- pretty damn
impressive.

I have no idea regardingthe costs/limits of resin or other materials.

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)	    Plan B is now in effect!
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)
<http://www.mint.net/~kinzel/index.html>

Prev: Re: damn super dreadnoughts Next: Re: Starship Troopers & Armour