Prev: Re: damn super dreadnoughts Next: Re: Metal minis vs. Plastic

RE: Metal minis vs. Plastic

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 23:00:11 -0400
Subject: RE: Metal minis vs. Plastic

	From Chan

	> Why are gaming minis so expensive when they come unpainted and
	>some even need to be assembled? Also, was looking at
MicroMachines(tm) and
	>was wondering: Is it cheaper to produce a mini in metal or
plastic (I have
	>bought the Wings of Death(tm) set of 48 plastic minis for
Silent Death(tm),
	>which cost $30 for 48 ships [$.63/ship])? I would be perfectly
happy with
	>plastic minis, even if I had to paint them myself, if they were
less
	>expensive. Could we get one of the mini manufacturers, or even
Galoob to make
	>a good looking line of plastic generic (not a specific
backgound) line of
	>ships?

I gues it is a case of increased sales allowing the smaller profit per
unit. Also the mass production of Matchbox and the like, result in
cheaper product too. Plastic mini's can be really good (less weight in
the carrycase too!). Plastic would be easier to paint and modify
(depending on the actual type of plastic of course). Lots of good
reasons to go plastic except from the production side, I suppose most of
the hobby suppliers are all geared up to production in metal with
plastic injection moulding needing a whole new workshop.

Pity

Owen Glover

Prev: Re: damn super dreadnoughts Next: Re: Metal minis vs. Plastic