Prev: RE: Starship Troopers & Armour Next: Re: The Kinetics of Discipline (Part 1) Fiction

Re: Spin gravity and tangents (was Re: OFF-TOPIC mini review B5 Wars)

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 04:45:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Spin gravity and tangents (was Re: OFF-TOPIC mini review B5 Wars)

Christopher Weuve wrote:

> Apologies in advance for the tangental topics below.
>
> 1) On Wed, Jul 30, 1997 at 12:57:29 PM, "Phillip E. Pournelle" wrote:
>

> Another good example of this is Michael McCollum's _Antares_ series,
which
> includes ships with rings surrounding a cylindrical core. The ships
rotate
> when not accelerating or engaging in hangar bay ops.
>
> I recommend McCollum's books, with one caveat -- if you haven't read
either
> _Mote_ nor the _Antares_ books, read the _Antares_ books *first*.  The
> technology is fundamentally similar in both (except McCollum doesn't
have
> force fields), and while MM does a better job of describing what the
ships
> look like, the mechanics of the jump drive, etc., JEP and LN are
better
> prosesmiths.	This should not be interpreted as a criticism of Mr.
McCollum --
> I am a _really_ big fan of his work, and own all of his novels.  (I
may own
> all of JEP's, as well -- he's more prolific, so there's more to keep
track
> of.)	See my sig below for info on McCollum.
>
> 2) Has anyone attempted a gaming campaign based on either the _Mote_
or
> _Antares_ backgrounds?  I would expect that Pournelle's end of the
First
> Empire period (Sauron War) would provide some exciting campaigns, as
would the
> battle between the _MacArthur_ and the New Chicago cruiser in
_Reflex_.

> 3) There was a long thread about rotating ships/sections on the
_2300ad_
> mailing list.  One of the members, a former naval aviator turned
physics PhD
> candidate, points out that for ship-size objects, there are some nasty
side
> effects of spin.  Basically, if your head is oriented in a particular
> direction, it feels like gravity, but if you turn your head sideways,
the
> coriolis effect does all sorts of nasty things to your inner ear.
>
> 4) As an alternative to spin, Marshall Savage argues in his _The
Millennial
> Project: Colonizing the Galaxy in 8 Easy Steps_ (1992) that the latest
> research indicates that special skin-tight garments and
electro-stimulation of
> muscle groups (while sleeping) would provide the necessary tension and
> exercise to prevent loss of bone mass and muscle tone.  He also
postulates
> spacesuits of the skin-tight semi-permeable design used by JEP and LN
in
> _Mote_, with tungsten armor over the top of them for radiation
shielding.

> I enjoyed the first thirty pages of this book so much that I called up
the
> First Millenial Foundation and ordered a second copy in hardcover.
I'm not
> sure I buy all of Mr. Savage's calculations, but the man sure has
vision, and
> the book is definitely worth the $25 (hardcover) price tag.
>
> http://www.millennial.org
> http://www.millennial.org/~pzack/FMFStore/Store.html

Yes it is VERY interesting! 8) Lots of info to build an imaginary future
around.

My freind picked his copy up at an "overuns/discontinued" bookstore for
only $4....It does pay to keep your eyes open!

------
> mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)	    Sci Fi-Arizona: books and essays by
> mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)	    Michael McCollum
<http://www.scifi-az.com/>

Donald Hosford

Prev: RE: Starship Troopers & Armour Next: Re: The Kinetics of Discipline (Part 1) Fiction