Prev: GZG Online Catalogue Next: Re: Mini Figs Tip; Number One.....

Re: DSII: Arty Direct Fire

From: TEHughes@a...
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 11:48:10 -0400
Subject: Re: DSII: Arty Direct Fire

<< Perversely I know nothing about the US doctrine on direct-fire
 artillery but it would not surprise me if the US artillery branch
 assumed they would never actually have to worry about seeing the
 enemy. ;)

If my memory serves me correctly the artillery in Veitnam had a fair
number
of fights with the VC and the Arty Boys used a Beehive round out of
their
main guns to repel the attacks. It was quite effective.

Also if you check the stats on American Arty you will find that they
have the
ablity to deperss their guns to below the horizon (eg: -5degrees) .
They are
also switching to the self-propelled guns with armor protection "against
artillery fragments and small arms."

With all the modern emphisis on infiltration, I have no doubt that the
ability of modern arty to defend itself depends on the energy of the
unit
CO's in enforcing a defensive policy.  [As we all know, preparedness is
more
spoken of than practiced!!!]

Tom Hughes

Prev: GZG Online Catalogue Next: Re: Mini Figs Tip; Number One.....