Prev: Re: Painting & Gluing Platics? Next: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)

Re: AIs and such...

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 12:40:23 -0400
Subject: Re: AIs and such...

At 11:49 PM 7/14/97 -0700, Jeff Shoffn wrote:
>Just to underscore the AI
>arguement even further, when I mentioned the debate raging on this
e-mail
>round robin to a gaming buddy, his reaction was first, a chortle of
>amusement/contempt, followed by, "Automated fighters?	Then explain to
me how
>you can have the Aces/Turkeys rule."

Easy, they represent superior/inferior FIGHTERS, not necessarily
superior or
inferior pilots.

>Let's face it:  (A) FT is runned as if
>the ships were manned by humans, (B) trying to make 'allowances' for
>something otherwise will continue to complicate what is supposed to be
>simple to play game.

Hmm, you HAVEN'T been paying attention to my posts. My original AI post
was
an attempt to JUSTIFY something we've seen in FT games: high casualties
amongst fighters and escorts. Another thing I wanted was to see if there
was
a consensus amongst list members as to AI use in the FT universe, since
(and several other list members) was intersted in writing some FT
fiction.

I haven't proposed any new rules for a reason: we don't need to. I'm not
suggesting we make the rules more complicated. I'm just trying to hammer
down some of the background story.

What I find interesting, and amusing, is the amount by which players
don't
like science getting in the way of their so-called "science fiction"
games.
This is probably the reason I detest most game related fiction.

>PS Since I am in a pissy mood, something I want to get off my chest.
Been
>wanting to for a while, but couldn't come up with a "tactful" way to
put it.
> Yesterday, I got 75 pieces of mail; kept four, replied to one or two,
>trashed the rest, half of which I only read the first paragraph.
Today, got
>62, kept about five, replied to one, trashed rest, again half of which
I read
>only the first paragraph.  Is it just me, or is the useful to useless
info
>ratio a tad on the "useless" side?

It's all relative. I skip about 50% of the messages at any given time
(usually when the topic starts to drift or there are a bunch of "me
toos".
The fact that there were over 130 messages in two days suggests that
it's
interesting to SOMEBODY. At least it beats a couple of weeks ago when I
got
two or three "why isn't anyone posting" messages.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Painting & Gluing Platics? Next: Background Irrelevancy--and Poll (was Re: AIs and such...)