Prev: Re: AIs and such... Next: Re: Painting & Gluing Platics?

Re: Scratch built ships

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 12:24:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Scratch built ships

At 08:23 PM 7/17/97 -0700, Adrian Bruce wrote:

> You can also use the Thick Super Glues ( gap filling super glue is
what
> it is normally called), but I haven't found it as strong as epoxy.

The best stuff I've found for gluing lead and plastic is called Goop.
You
can get it in hardware stores (like Home Depot). There are two versions:
Goop and Crafter's Goop (there may also be a Plumber's Goop, but I'm not
sure).

This stuff is the ONLY stuff I've found that bonds soft plastic
miniatures
together, like Airfix and Revell miniatures. I glued a Revell soft
plastic
Norman to his soft plastic horse two years ago and he's still holding
strong. I can wave the Norman around vigourously and his horse is still
attached. Even epoxy won't do this.

I haven't been using Goop long enough to tell if it breaks down much
with
age, but I do know that 5 minute epoxy will decay if you don't prime and
paint the model within 6 months of gluing it together.

The only problems with Goop are: 1) it comes out like a thick gel, so
it's
easy to be messy with it; 2) while goopy and thick, it doesn't give a
thoroughly solid bond for about 24 hours.

For my current set of figures for FT, I've been gluing the smaller parts
with 5 minute epoxy so that the engine nacelles don't have to be held
for a
day! I'm also using epoxy to put together the ship's lead stand. But I'm
reinforcing the epoxy with Goop, I'm doing the major assemblies with
Goop
(which can also be used to fill gaps in the model) and I'm gluing my
bogey
markers with Goop.

If you are gluing soft plastic Airfix, ESCI, Revell, HaT or other
figures,
Goop is the ONLY way to go.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: AIs and such... Next: Re: Painting & Gluing Platics?