Prev: Re: Reparing brain damaged AIs Next: Legendary Captains

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:51:24 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Peggy & Jeff Shoffner wrote:

> > What happens when a force decides to take over the planets occupied
by the
> > AI? What if such a take over will result in the deaths of thousands
of
> > humans and the possible destruction of AIs? Wouldn't THAT be worth
fighting
> > for?
>
> Ahhhh, but there in lies the crux of the matter.   I was refering to
the
> internal Human Conflict; if the humans allowed AIs to do the strategy
think
> and whatnot, most likely "warfare" would be economic, not physical.
> Conquering a planet economically doesn't waste the planet's resources,
but
> using force would.
> But, from your statement, you are asking what would AIs do if attacked
from
> an outside source, say the KV.  Well, that's a different matter
entirely.  Of
> course AIs would defend themselves, most likely leave most of it to
the
> entity most experiencend in mass killing: us.
>
> Jeff Shoffner

I read a book called: The Napoleons of Eridanus by Pierre Barbet.

In this book there is an interstellar power that is so advanced, the
citizens have no interests beyond their pleasure drugs.  Everything is
done by robots.  Even the day-to-day operation of their government is
overseen by AI computers.  Then an unknown alien power attacks some
outer colonies.  The AI's problem is that although they have fighting
robots, they don't have any sense of tactics, and are losing badly.
They start looking around for a solution. Meanwhile, the Earth is in the
midst of Napoleon's retreat from the stepps of russa.  So the AI's send
a ship over, and kidnap a French Leutanent and a few of his men. Cavalry
officers, of course. They are informed that the robots will do the
fighting, while the humans will do the generaling.  Of course it isn't
long before the humans are taking over from the AIs. They can do
anything they want, so long as they keep the population tanked up on
their favorite drugs, and pleasures.

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Reparing brain damaged AIs Next: Legendary Captains