Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters - Reply Next: Re: FT Bibliography

Re: Starship Trooper-- off topic

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 13:46:08 -0400
Subject: Re: Starship Trooper-- off topic

Tom Granvold writes:
@:) At 09:06 AM 7/10/97 -0700, you wrote:

@:) >I just saw a review of the movie Starship Troopers on TV. The
@:) >review was very favorable.
@:)
@:)	I saw a preview of Starship Troopers a couple of days ago at
@:) the local movie theater.  I didn't pay much attention since we had
@:) just walked in and were looking for seats.	Here are a couple of
@:) random observations.

  I actually saw a preview two days ago so it's pretty fresh in my
mind.  The reason I mentioned Armor, actually, is because the preview
I saw reminded me _VERY MUCH_ of Armor and very little of what little
I can remember of Starship Troopers.  The humans flew a fleet of ships
in to a fairly low orbit around the planet and the bugs were
apparently launching some kind of missiles at them.  The missiles
looked primitive but that might just be my overinterpretation and the
fact that I want this movie to be Armor.  They looked like comets and
they were drifting up lazily from the surface of the planet and
demolishing spaceships.  So anyway all the people in their Space: A&B
costumes were standing inside a steel stockade and shooting over the
top at the thousands of bugs coming in.  Bugs were predictably getting
over the wall but not many - just enough to make it scary.  Anyway all
of a sudden this gigantic thingie, it looked like a really pissed-off
beetle about the size of a bus, well it came out of the ground
apparently inside the stockade and started snuffing our heroes.  Then
one of the said heroes said to his commander (after the battle, I
guess) "the bugs laid a trap for us, didn't they, sir.	It was an
ambush from the beginning!"  Or something like that.

  So it reminds me a lot of armor, given the location and scenery and
bugs and what have you.  I seem to remember Starship Troopers taking
place on a lot of human-populated worlds with buildings and houses and
the like but none of that was to be seen here.

  It sounds like they wouldn't be able to do a good job reproducing
S. T. as a movie.  If they can reproduce Armor, even just the fighting
(and even without the powered armor) (and also you're right Mike
L. there's more to the book than that but that's what they need to
reproduce) then I'd be more than satisfied.

-joachim

Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters - Reply Next: Re: FT Bibliography