Prev: Re: Re[2]: FTL capable fighters B5 spoiler, Aussie Joke Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

From: Paul Calvi <tanker@r...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 19:12:03 -0400
Subject: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Well Keith Laumer's Bolo series is probably the best example of AI at
work
(as well as some of Asimov's Robot stuff). I think in general though
Sci-FI
writers assume (perhaps correctly) that AI will never achieve the
ability
to replace man in battle where all is chaos. Of course it IS silly that
space ships still have hundreds of crewman. Even 2001 and Aliens had
only a
handful of crew to run a ship.

Paul

At 06:08 PM 7/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>--snip--
>Once again, what level of AI use is in place in Full Thrust? The FT
universe
>is only about 200 years in the future. That's long enough to make a
true,
>sapient AI still an unobtained goal. However, there should be no reason
for
>manned fighters that far in the future. The next generation of aerial
>fighter under design in the US and Europe will probably be unmanned.
The
>rigors of battle and advances in computer science and aeronautics are
>resulting in humans being the weakest point of an aircraft. Certainly
>today's aircraft can survive G loads well beyond the limits of their
human
>operator. I don't see why fighters need to be controlled by humans ala
>_Babylon 5_ in the FT universe, when it's likely we will have automated
>fighter aircraft by the first or second decade of the next century. The
same
>can be said for the small escort ships in FT.
---snip---
>Allan Goodall:  agoodall@sympatico.ca

-----
Paul J. Calvi Jr.
tanker@rahul.net

"Objective, Offense, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command,
Security, Surprise, Simplicity"

15SEP16

Prev: Re: Re[2]: FTL capable fighters B5 spoiler, Aussie Joke Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)