Prev: New version of my ship bulder Next: Re: Spinning in place...

Berserkers in FT?

From: Ryan Montieth Gill <labrg@e...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 02:02:48 -0400
Subject: Berserkers in FT?

I have picked up one of my copies of Berserker by F. Saberhagen and have
begun to wonder about an interesting campaign which focuses on
Berserkers.

I have yet to start to play FT, but the Idea of running berserkers seems
likea a pretty interesting idea. (I've been playing DSII having given up
on GW... I' plan on starting FT once I get the brown water and interface
portion of my forces for DS set...)

So, has any one tried this yet? What about the issues of super huge
ships?
I understand that super huge tonnage ships are sorta out of the scope of
the game... What are the problems of this?  Also what of the robotic
quality of the berserkers? They tend to follow random processes as far
as
strategy goes. They are also very daft to subtle tricks.

If you've never read any of the berserker book I'll try to explain...

Berserkers are huge (some as large as New Jersey (the state in the US).
Most are incredibly old and have many scars of past engagements. They
were
created by a race on the other side of the galaxy that was loosing a war
with another race. They are all based on an organic core brain, with
random programing incorporated to help with making them unpredictable.
Hence the name Berserkers.

One story follow that a comedian is captured by a berserker. The
comedian
manages to convince the damaged berserker that lack of humor is life
(berserkers_must_ destroy all life) and that must be irradicated. The
berserker reconfigures its weapons to stamp out life, and procededs to
attact a planet with large creame pies and fireworks etc...The humans
manage to destroy it with much dismay...

Most stories have the berserkers just barely held back with draws in the
engagements. Humans that cooperate are called "goodlife", those that
fight
the berserkers are "badlife". Ohh, one more thing, the larger berserkers
have the ability to land on a planet and mine ore to repair themselves
and
build more berserkers.

- Ryan Montieth Gill  /|\   Scotland Forever  DoD# 0780/AMA/SOHC -
- _ryan.gill@turner.com or labrg@emory.edu_   '85 CB700S 'Mehev' -
- I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.   '72 CB750K 'The Barge' -
- www.mojoski.com/~rgill	     '76 MonteCarlo 'Bumblecrow' -
---		Senator Koella Should go to JAIL !!	       ---
--- Kill someone and leave the accident you should go to jail! ---

Prev: New version of my ship bulder Next: Re: Spinning in place...