Prev: Re: A Full thrust ? Next: Re: Suddenly unsubscribed

Re: Just wondering.....

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 03:43:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Just wondering.....

>Do yall only talk about figurines, or is it just me; just wondering.  I

>guess you leave the gameplay to some other website or something, but
I'll ask
>what are probably old questions;  couldn't find any helpful FT
FAQs.....

When you've been on the list for a while, I thionk you'll find that
threads
develop about almost anything even vaguely relevant! There IS plenty of
chat about rules and rule mods, but just right now there is a lot of
talk
about minis of various sorts.

>Why are the Kra'Vak so damned powerful?  We played a little Two on One
fight
>with the USes using 1200 points apiece and the THEMs using 2000; we got
our
>BUTTS kicked!	Do they have ANY weakness????  Speaking of which, how
does
>Pulse Torpedoes affect Kra'Vak armour in terms of damage sustained?

The fundamental problem with the KV was that they were originally
devised
as a really nasty butt-kicking alien menace for scenario-driven games
where
the humans were really up against the wall; our mistake was in giving
them
points values at all! We're taking steps in the next edition to deal
with
this while still making the KV fun to play (and play against). Some
small
suggestions in the meantime are:
i) allow the pulse torps to ignore the armour, as the advantage against
beams is really enough for the KV;
ii) DELETE the anti-ship capability from the KV scatterguns, and use
them
simply as an antifighter weapon (which is what they were designed for).

>Also was wondering when an attacked ship should roll threshold checks;
>immediately when crossed (ie: attacker is rolling five dice, first dice

>causes defender to cross threshold, attacker continue to rolls AFTER
defender
>checks thresholds) or after the attack is done.  Can make a big
difference,
>especially when dealing with shielded ships....

For simplicity of play, we usually leave all checks till the end of the
firing phase (this is the "official" way), but this is (like
everything!)
up to the preference of your playing group.

>Jon, I have a thought for you.  It always seems like whenever humans
>encounter aliens, they're always bigger, stronger, and more deadlier
than us.
> How about....
>
>..... "Captain, picking up alien vessel.  It is firing."
>"Brace for impact!"   ::plink!  plink!::
>"Damage, O'Brien?"
>"Sir, we have sustained no damage.  As best as I can tell, their
munitions
>just shattered off our hull."
>"Reason?"
>"Sir, best I can tell, the projectiles were nothing more than small,
>snowball-like shots."
>"Very well, open fire."
>:::alien ship vaporizes:::
>"What happened?"
>"Sensors indicate the alien vessel was made of frozen water; they
didn't have
>a chance, sir."
>
>Anyway, you get the picture....

Amusing as a storyline, but not a great deal of fun as a game! Weaker
aliens could have their place, but probably only in scenario-driven
games -
what about a weak alien force being "picked on" by a nasty human power,
with other human nations trying to "protect" the poor little aliens...?

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: A Full thrust ? Next: Re: Suddenly unsubscribed