Prev: Re: Cheap Figs.... Next: Re: Just wondering.....

Fighting KVs

From: Peggy & Jeff Shoffner <pshoffner@e...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 23:22:54 -0400
Subject: Fighting KVs

Well, we had a few more fights today.  Our analyses are:

2:1 odds against KV tended to be overkill.  The KV seriously hurt the
humans,
but in the end were wiped out with plenty of human ships flying around;
one
third unscathed.

3:2 odds seemed a bit more even.  Humans were severely injured, but
managed
to either destroy all KV ships, or disable thrusters (A KV CAL going 18"

velocity with no turning capability doesn't stay on the board long.)

KV player realized his ships' superior manuvuerability near the end of
second
game, so he might had won if he had used this in the beginning.

Fighters are pretty much useless against KV; they turn too fast to
predict
where they'll be (obviously using optional rule that fighters move
before
fleet movement.)

Missiles did okay; weren't thrilled by the damaged inflicted.  Will try
EMPs
the next time.

Pulse Torps were horrible; when you got in range, the KV would pound you
pieces.

Super Destroyers, Heavy CAs, SuperDreadnoughts were the big pounders on
the
human side.  We humans won the second game only because I had one keavy
CA
and one Super Destroyer virually unscathed for round 5.

Suggestions for rules amendments:  KV lose one lvl of armour per
threshold
crossing.  Think of it as that much armour being vaporized in the heat
of
battle.

When sizing fleets, use the 3:2 point selection; seemed to work for us.

On other notes, when scaling down the fight so that it fits on a smaller

table, increase the area size of effects to say 1.5 normal.  This would
be
for ADAF and Wave and Nova guns.

On other notes, been working on my Kitchen Fleet; ya know, I'm a pretty
good
balsa wood carver!  I have a couple of CVs and CAs, and a host of
fighters
(or is that a 'toast' of fighters....)	Anyway, what has me a little
stumped
is what to use for "engines."  I'd like something different, not
Enterprise/Klingon warbird engine look alikes; any suggestions?

Jeff Shoffner

Prev: Re: Cheap Figs.... Next: Re: Just wondering.....