Prev: Re: wanted: more thrust: FOUND!! Next: Re: Starwars figures

Air Support & Dug-in Vehicles

From: DirtSider@a...
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:48:53 -0400
Subject: Air Support & Dug-in Vehicles

<< I can see the tanks with IR. >>

Not even if they've been cranking the engines all night.  Perhaps you
mean
thermal sights.  A warm engine compartment does indeed show up like
that.
 However, in dug in positions, even that is extremely difficult to spot.

My point really is that in a tactical situation, air support has its
greatest
impact when vehicles are moving and easily discernible.  The US Army
routinely does NOT allocate tactical air support against dug-in
vehicles.

Now, if the artillery and the ground troops can get the enemy to move
out of
those positions, air support is great for nailing vehicles as they try
displace.

<<Don't underestimate the power of the mark I eyeball. >>

Don't underestimate the power of any detection system, be it ground
surveillance radar (good against moving forces, awful against static
emplacements), satellite imagery, or ground scouts.  However, don't
expect
any of them to give you the complete picture.

To be fair, I have seen TacAir called in on defensive positions, but
only
when the precise position has been identified, elimination of the
position is
critical to the success of the attack, and there is an observer who can
see
the strike go in.

<<The US and several other nations are working on systems that will
locate
targets by looking for the air disturbances caused by their passage
through
the air. Also by the emmision of waste products from propulsion. >>

Again, note that these systems are primarily aimed at moving vehicles.
agree; moving vehicles are not difficult to locate.  But the original
question was about using air support against dug-in targets.  Just not
cost
effective to do.  BTW, I do equip most of my vehicles with stealth; that
makes them difficult to acquire (in terms of achieving target lock-on).
But
aircraft have a great deal more difficulty even detecting stationary
vehicles
(dug-in or not), much less locking on.

-- John

Prev: Re: wanted: more thrust: FOUND!! Next: Re: Starwars figures